Level 2 AVERAGE Description
1. key signatures - 0-3 sharps and flats
2. time signature - mixed simple duple
3. rhythm - add quarter and eighth note triplets
4. form - theme & variations; song form (chorales); motivic based sections
5. accompaniment - easily supports or doubles soloist
6. strokes- add single alternating at slow stroke speed
7. add octave in RH at slow stroke speed; chorale tempo - 120-140 for 2nds-6ths; more movement between the manuals
8. introduce linear lines (single lines played by inner mallets); more manual changes with single independent strokes
9. rolls - hand-to-hand, no octaves, two-mallet roll (inner mallets)
10. average duration - 1' 40"
Level 2 Repertoire
This is a partial list of the analyzed pieces at this level.
Progressive Solos for 3-4 Mallets by Murray Houllif and James Moore
4-Mallet Marimba Solos by Anthony Cirone
Marimb'un by Marie-Francoise Bonin
Marimba Technique Through Music by Mark Ford
Impressions on Wood by Julie Davila
Image: 20 Children's Songs for Marimba by Bart Quartier
Crocodile Tears (#4)
Zen Wanderer by Mitchell Peters
Four Spans on London's Bridge by Jeffrey T. Parthun, Sr.